Re: script to stay connected//dynamic IPs

On Wednesday 02 June 2004 03:06, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> Incoming from David Baron:
> > Is there a little script that can be cron-d to check if the internet
> > connection (pptp -> ppp0) is up and if not, reconnect?
>
> Try using the keyword "persist" in /etc/ppp/options.

It is there. Sporadically, however, I am knocked off for good. Ifconfig ppp0
lists no device and after a time, no ppp is running.

Since I have a home dynamic IP, such a script could also update the dn server
as well if it must reconnect.

Another, related question: Ssh updates its known host file everytime a new
host is accessed. If I test my connection, each new temporary IP gets placed
in this file. A waste--is there a way to defeat this or do I simply delete
the file occasionally if it gets too big?