Re: kernel and kdm problems

 --- jack kinnon <jackkinnon@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,

Hello -

> Problem 1
> In working on the tablet, I have to download the xfree86 source files
> and compile them, no problem here. This is all that is required for the
> tablet. But since I have the 4.3.1 source and I am currently using
> 4.1.1, I decided to do an upgrade. I do a 'make install'. This failed.
> After this, I could not boot up to kdm. The kdm.log indicated a
> "relocation error".
>
> a. How to deal with the error?
> b. Can I upgrade to xfree4.3.1 with the downloaded source files?

Need more information -- how did make install fail? You need to run it as
root.

> Problem2
> 'make menuconfig' failed with the msg:
> 'scripts/lxdialog/dialog.h:29: curses.h: no such file or directory'
>
> I remember installing a libNcurses5 package which replaced a libcurses
> package. I think the two are mutually exclusive. Any suggestion?

# apt-get install libncurses5-dev

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

experience will probably kill you. :)"

Chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the
FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/