Re: Missing usb-storage.o

bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) wrote:

Marc Shapiro wrote:
I am running a stock kernel 2.4.24-1-k1

Where did you get this "stock" kernel from?  Debian has no such kernel
in the last released woody.  Are you running sid?  And I will assume
you mean "k7" here not "k1" and that you got it from sid when that was
the current kernel.

Yes, I did mean 2.4.24-1-k7, and I am running Sarge. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

and want to access a digital camera.  I hope to be able to access it
directly as a storage device.  When I went to load usb-storage,
using modprobe, I received an error stating:

  Can't locate module usb-storage

Looking in /lib/modules I find that the module usb-storage.o is present in the 2.4.18-bf2.4 tree, but not under 2.4.24-1-k7.

Check /boot/config-2.4.24-1-k7 and look for the configuration of your
kernel.  I am guessing it was 'y' and so no module.  It will be an 'm'
for a module.

 grep CONFIG_USB_STORAGE= /boot/config-2.4.24-1-k7
 CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m

If it is 'y' then it was compiled into your kernel and you would not
need to load it as a module.  If it is 'n' then it was left out of the
configuration and would need to be recompiled.
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m

but there is no module usb_storage.o in /lib/modules/2.4.24-1-k7.  Could this have been accidentally left out of the package?  If so, where can I get it.  Is there a more recent 2.4.x kernel that DOES have the module included?

Marc Shapiro