Re: lynx and google.com

Clive Menzies writes:
> On (06/05/04 11:14), William Ballard wrote:

>>> I presume you're running sid - it works fine on woody but my
>>> sid system produces the same result - I guess lynx is the
>>> problem. Perhaps you should file a bug report.
>>
>> FWIW, I downloaded Stable lynx, extracted it to my home
>> directory, and ran it from there and it was broken too.
>> I know that doesn't mean it's still not something sid-related,
>> but the only things lynx depends on are libc6, zlib1g, and
>> mime-support.
>>
>> It could also be explained by the fact that you are getting different
>> servers from the two different boxes. Try "www.google.com" from the
>> broken box and see if that works -- it did for me, for a few days,
>> with no change to Lynx in the intervening time.
>
> Nope, sid still gives "Bad Request".
>
> However, debian.org works fine ...... curious ....because
> http://www.google.com definitely won't work on my sid box. One of
> life's little mysteries ;)

I think we're getting proxied by Comcast. I have lynx
in two places, neither of which has been recently upgraded.

Still working, and NOT on a Comcast network:
Lynx Version 2.8.3rel.1 (23 Apr 2000)
Built on osf5.0 Sep 18 2000 14:56:05

Recently failing, on a Comcast cable modem:
Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1 (17 Jul 2001)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, GNUTLS 0.8.6
Built on linux-gnu May 3 2003 01:32:20

So I now wonder:

1. how do I verify my suspicion
2. how do I get past this