Re: How long can we avoid using kernel 2.6.x ?

Philippe Berini wrote:
* Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> [Mon, May 24, 2004 at 04:56:16PM +0100]:

I've tried kernel 2.6.6 and encounter various problems: one is that
magicfilter no longer works properly and another is that I don't find a
config entry for my usb Epson scanner.

It seems that there is no module for usb scanners in the current
versions of the 2.6 kernel (I use 2.6.6-1-686).

Has anybody any clues about that ? Am I missing something or is it
normal, and it's just a matter of waiting for next versions?

You are supposed to use libusb for sane in the 2.6 kernel. There is a little discription on that at http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/libusb.html

If you're thinking on upgrading to a 2.6 kernel,
- try and get alsa working (you need alsa modules for that in the 2.4 kerlen)
- move to libusb
(possibly more things to get ready...?)

By the way, 2.6 is a bit faster than 2.4 :-)
HTH,

Joris