How long can we avoid using kernel 2.6.x ?

I've tried kernel 2.6.6 and encounter various problems: one is that
magicfilter no longer works properly and another is that I don't find a
config entry for my usb Epson scanner. Others will probably emerge later.

No doubt I can find solutions to all such problems with a lot of work
but why should I bother, considering that 2.4.26 is working perfectly
well for me? Is it going to become essential or at least highly
desirable to shift to the new kernels in the near future?

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic