Re: testing open ports on the user's side

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 10:32:20PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > I'm working on a web site that includes streamed rich media files. I need
> > a way to test to see which ports the user can access if they're behind a
> > firewall. I'm guess that I need to try and send them an object (a picture
> > maybe?) on one of the ports I need information about and then see if the
> > picture is received or not.
>
> any secure site will only allow port 80 or port 443 for web ...

It's not the server I'm testing, it's the user. Some streaming video
(RealPlayer) doesn't come through on regular ports so the client wants a
little app that they can ping at the *user* to figure out if they should
send RealPlayer or something else. (I'm working on an auto-detection
"suite" and my partner is working on the associated wizard/help files.)
Basically we don't want to present the user with the option of RealPlayer
if the port isn't even open for the user to receive the stream.

Not sure if that makes sense yet. It's not so much a Debian question as it
is a general ports on the web question.

thanks,
emma

--