Re: testing open ports on the user's side

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> > any secure site will only allow port 80 or port 443 for web ...
>
> It's not the server I'm testing, it's the user. Some streaming video

that "secure site" works both ways ... user or server ..

> (RealPlayer) doesn't come through on regular ports so the client wants a
> little app that they can ping at the *user* to figure out if they should
> send RealPlayer or something else. (I'm working on an auto-detection
> "suite" and my partner is working on the associated wizard/help files.)
> Basically we don't want to present the user with the option of RealPlayer
> if the port isn't even open for the user to receive the stream.

grab the plug-info from the users browser ( if its setup to tell you )

use nmap or any port scanner to see if you can scan that port you
want on their machine

if both are "okay" send um the 10M *.ra or 1MB *.swf file or anything else

c ya
alvin