Re: ALSA strangeness

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 07:30:45PM -0700, Steven Yap wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 13:26, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> >
> > I had thought that all ALSA drivers had support for multiple audio
> > streams. Is this not the case?
>
> Yes and no. On hardware with built-in multi-stream playback (like in
> your home PC), nothing special needs to be done.
>
> For hardware without built-in multi-stream playback, ALSA provides a
> software emulation (sort of), but it requires you to configure
> /etc/asoundrc.
>
> Here's what mine looks like (see below). The "pcm.!default" directive
> should cause ALSA-aware applications to use the dmixer plugin that
> provides the software mixing.  Applications which supports only OSS
> can participate also through the "aoss" application. "aoss <app>"
> should redirect the OSS-output BUT only if the application uses the
> standard "open()" calls instead of "fopen()".  For example, bzflag
> version 1.10.4 does not work with aoss.

Actually, I believe it's the other way since open() is the low-level
system call to the kernel to actually open the file and the f*()
functions like fopen() all really use the kernel system calls like
open().  The reason that programs like aoss can work for programs is
because glibc that provides fopen() has hooks inserted to catch it
before the call to open(), but once you're inside the kernel it's too
late to catch it.

> Hope that helps.

<snip>