Re: problem with samba, windoze -> smbfs and directories

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2004.05.27.1843 +0200]:
> We are running a 3.0.2a Samba server here, which works fine, except
> for one detail: when a Windows users creates a folder in a "guest ok
> = no" share, that folder is not accessible to Linux users via
> smbfs, even though the UNIX permissions are fine. In fact, the
> folder is perfectly accessible to user A logged in through SSH on
> the Samba server, but when A is "logged in" via smbfs, permission to
> cd into the directory is denied.

I reduced the problem to being client-side: directory foo belongs to
gid 1011 on the server, and on the server, the user mounting the
share with smbfs is a member of 1011. However, locally, on the
client machine, group 1011 does not exist. If I create it, then
access to the directory works fine. However, this is not an option.

I tried the gid= option for smbmount, but that only changes the gid
of the root directory of the mount. Everything underneath is
exported from Samba.

This makes smbfs pretty unusable in a distributed, non-cluster
context. How are people dealing with this?

I wonder why file access works just fine.

I can access a 0660 someoneelse.group file just fine, because I am
a member of group. I can't cd into a 0770 someoneelse.group though.

Weird.

`. `'`