Re: XFree86 4.2 install

todd shifflett wrote:

I am trying to install debian linux on my ibook. Thanks to all the support pages out there it has gone very smoothly until now. I am not getting xwindows to run, which I assume is due to the fact that I am running XFREE86 4.1 and not 4.2

In trying to download and install 4.2 this is what I did...

wget -r -l 1 -A .rpm ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/supplementary/C/suse73/4.2.0

which seemed to work just fine.

then...

    rpm -Uvh *.rpm

which ended in this:

error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

Is there something wrong with the way rpm is installed? How do I fix this and upgrade to XFree86 4.2?

-todd

As a general rule, you don't want to use RPMs on a Debian system. You can use "alien" to convert them to .DEBs, but even at that, you'd really be better off with native Debian packages.

I would suggest that you either stick with the version you have, and get it to work, or upgrade your entire system to Testing or Unstable (my vote would be for unstable, if it's just going to be a workstation for one or three people).

What kind of issues are you having with the 4.1 version?

btw, since you have an iBook, you might find better support on the debian-powerpc list; you can find the subscription form at: