XFree86 4.2 install

I am trying to install debian linux on my ibook. Thanks to all the support pages out there it has gone very smoothly until now. I am not getting xwindows to run, which I assume is due to the fact that I am running XFREE86 4.1 and not 4.2

In trying to download and install 4.2 this is what I did...

wget -r -l 1 -A .rpm ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/supplementary/C/suse73/4.2.0

which seemed to work just fine.

then...

	rpm -Uvh *.rpm

which ended in this:

error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
	error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

Is there something wrong with the way rpm is installed? How do I fix this and upgrade to XFree86 4.2?

-todd