Re: Samba problem resolved: roaming profiles wouldn't

Roberto Sanchez wrote:
Karsten M. Self wrote:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System] "LocalProfile"=dword:00000001

My only question is this:  is this key documented somewhere, and how
would one ordinarially go about getting documentation on a registry key?

Probably not documented.  I doubt MS would want people to know too much
about the registry.
> [...]
That is one of the reasons I laugh at people who complain about the lack
of documentation for free software.

As with most documentation, free and proprietary, it's easy to find if you know in advance what you're looking for. Going to www.microsoft.com and entering "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Policies LocalProfile" into the search box on the front page returns two hits, different pages with the same content. One is here:
<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/263737.asp>

Extracting from that page:
| LocalProfile
|   HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
| Description
|   Only allow local user profiles.

I'm not saying this would be easy to find if you didn't already know the relevant registry key, but it is documented in the obvious place, and to me it's clear what it means. I have the same problem with documentation for a lot of free software: if you know what you're looking for it's a lot easier to find than if you just have a problem and don't know where to look for the solution.

Randy