Re: Samba problem resolved: roaming profiles wouldn't

Karsten M. Self wrote:
The problem turned out to be a legacy MS Windows Registry key:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System] "LocalProfile"=dword:00000001

Changing that to:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System] "LocalProfile"=dword:00000000

...allows profiles to roam.

I don't have this as a .REG file, but setting and saving this value will
allow you to apply the value simply by double-clicking the registry
file (among other tools).  Samba distributes several such registry files
for sorting other issues.

My only question is this:  is this key documented somewhere, and how
would one ordinarially go about getting documentation on a registry key?

Probably not documented.  I doubt MS would want people to know too much
about the registry.  It would make migration to competing OSs too easy.
Think about it, you import your old windows registry into your fresh
Linux or OS X install and it tries to approximate your settings as well
as possible, including app preferences, and then reports on what
settings could not transfer.

That is one of the reasons I laugh at people who complain about the lack
of documentation for free software.

-Roberto Sanchez