Re: [OT] Yahoo's Antispam proposal

David P James <dpjames@rogers.com> writes:

> If someone is living such a hand-to-mouth existence it's highly unlikely
> they'll even have access to the internet.

Not true.  There are internett cafes.  Public libraries.  Schools. As to
email, you can get free email accounts (which will probably go away if
your scheme gets implemented).

There was a news report a couple of weeks/months ago, where they were
showing a service they had in some Asian country.  Basically, someone
would print out the email, drive to the remote village, get any outgoing
emails, and go back to the city, type it up, and send it out.  So, the
village people would have internett "access", but that doesn't mean they
could afford it if we started charging pennies for the access.

And again, a penny for someone from the Western World (and some parts of
Asia and Africa) might not be so much, but it might be alot from
somewhere else ($10000 might not be much for Larry Ellison, but it's
alot to me. It's all perspective).

--
John L. Fjellstad