Re: postgres ident error

J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 19:36:38 -0400, Tom Allison wrote:

I created a user in psql but now I can't log in as that user.

I get an error
psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "dbmail"

This implies that I need to have all my users for pgsql listed in both the /etc/passwd file and the postgres database.

No. It implies you haven't set PostgreSQL's client authentication settings
to ones you like.

Or does postgres just us the /etc/passwd file for all of it's
authentications?

PostgreSQL doesn't care about /etc/passwd. The default client authentication
settings care about what user is connecting to the database server through a
UNIX socket.

The relevant documentation is the "Client Authentication" chapter of the
PostgreSQL documentation:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/client-authentication.html

HTH,
Ray

Gee I must have missed something in the pg_hba configuration files.

IDENT is clearly the only authentication model used and sockets are not used at all. And others have mentioned that the IDENT process usees the /etc/passwd files for the authentication.