postgresql + dbmail

What are the permissions supposed to be for enabling the dbmail to access the dbmail database in posgresql? SELECT + UPDATE?

Also, I have a serious bug here that's just wrong.

postgres installs with IDENT authentication only, by default.

I can't get the dbmail server to start from the /etc/init scripts because the root user runs these scripts and only the dbmail Unix user can access the postgres database as the dbmail pgsql user.

I'd send a bugreport, but I can't get the email working, duh!

All testing, latest as of tonight.

Help. I think I would rather just kill IDENT authentication and migrate everything over to MD5 encryption unconditionally. This server is going to be running on my DMZ and as a rule, everything that runs there has to be secure as if it's exposed to the extent possible. If not, then I work on other measures. Short of Kerberos and stunnel, I think MD5 is about the best thing I have available. I think it will work for me.