Re: aptitude trap: 'hold' directives not honored.

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 08:57:39AM +0800, Katipo wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> >on Fri, May 21, 2004 at 12:55:27PM -0700, Karsten M. Self
> >(kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> >

> >>on Fri, May 21, 2004 at 12:46:59PM -0700, Karsten M. Self
> >>(kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> >>Turns out to be a two year old bug.  This colors my opinion of aptitude
> >>very negatively:
> >>
> >>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=146207
> >>

> >...and:
> >
> >   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=137771
> >

> >There are apparently three package selection databases.  These should be
> >either unified or cross-validated:
> >
> > - dpkg
> > - apt
> > - aptitude
> >

> >Anyone else running into this?
> >

> Yes.
> I was alternating between dselect and aptitude for a while, being
> careful to update in the applicable medium on each occasion before
> upgrading, or just installing/removing single packages. Essentially I
> was just looking for a preferred flavour of package manager.
> In the end, I didn't know where I was.
> I'm sticking with just aptitude at the moment to cut down on variables.
> Regards,
>
> David.

Yesterday I tried to upgrade my Sid system. Did an update, then "g" to
start things.  Was told that everything was on hold. ???? I released
all those poor packages from their entrapped states (but decided to
hold anyway when I saw a few of the outstanding bugs...).

Seeing this with all packages hasn't happened before (but I haven't
been playing too long with aptitude).  I do remember at least once when
I was marking stuff for deletions/ additions, and found a number of
pkgs. on hold suddenly which were unrelated to the work I was doing.

This behavior may be related to this thread, but occurs in a different
way.  Admittedly I haven't checked the bug reports about it.

That, or aptitude has a way of doing things that I haven't caught onto
yet.  If so, it ain't intuitive to me...

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,