Re: aptitude trap: 'hold' directives not honored.

Karsten M. Self wrote:

on Fri, May 21, 2004 at 12:55:27PM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
on Fri, May 21, 2004 at 12:46:59PM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
Turns out to be a two year old bug.  This colors my opinion of aptitude
very negatively:

...and:

There are apparently three package selection databases.  These should be
either unified or cross-validated:

 - dpkg
 - apt
 - aptitude

Anyone else running into this?

Yes.
I was alternating between dselect and aptitude for a while, being careful to update in the applicable medium on each occasion before upgrading, or just installing/removing single packages. Essentially I was just looking for a preferred flavour of package manager.
In the end, I didn't know where I was.
I'm sticking with just aptitude at the moment to cut down on variables.
Regards,

David.