Compilling Kernel 2.4.25 on Debian 2.0r3

Hi, maybe somebody can help me in this:

I recently compiled the 2.4.25 linux kernel (downloaded from kernel.org) on Debian Woody 2.0r3 (kernel 2.4) (all from stable branch) because I need support for some SCSI controller that is not build on the 2.4 stable kernel (2.4.18-1).

Everything works well if I put all I need on the kernel, but if I try to use modules, I find some problems:

- The initrd image could not be read correctly ("cramfs: bad magic" is the message I get)
	- "The System.map file is not appropriate to the kernel" claims ps(1).
	- I get "unresolve symbol" messages when I try to insert modules.

I guess all this could be caused by incompatibility between the kernel and the rest of the utilities needed for compilation, initrd generation, etc. Is this possible? Or I should look for other explanation?

Thanks a lot.

--
                                        Federico Petronio
                                        petrus@activesec.biz