Re: Exim4 Woes

David(dbree@duo-county.com) is reported to have said:
> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:07:25AM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > David(dbree@duo-county.com) is reported to have said:
> > > On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 11:07:01AM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
>

> I don't hae a smarthost_defer router.  Here's the snippet where that
> entry occurs:
>
> --------------- cut --------------
> .ifdef DCconfig_smarthost DCconfig_satellite
> # configtype=smarthost or configtype=satellite
> #
> # Send all non-local mail to a single other machine (smarthost).
> #
> # This is ugly but we need to split off mails with env-from in
> # +local_domains - we may rewrite only the envelope-from of these.
> smarthost_rewrite:
>   debug_print = "R: smarthost_rewrite for $local_part@$domain"
>   driver = manualroute
>   domains = ! +local_domains
>   transport = remote_smtp_rewrite
>   route_list = * DCsmarthost
>   host_find_failed = defer
>   same_domain_copy_routing = yes
>   senders = *@+local_domains
>   no_more
>
> smarthost:
>   debug_print = "R: smarthost for $local_part@$domain"
>   driver = manualroute
>   domains = ! +local_domains
>   transport = remote_smtp
>   route_list = * DCsmarthost
>   host_find_failed = defer
>   same_domain_copy_routing = yes
>   no_more
>
> .endif
> -------------- cut --------------
> >Are you using
> > the single file or the split up files in conf.d?
>
> I'm using the single file.  I have a bunch of files in the the conf.d
> directory, but don't use them.  I started out with a single file, and
> that's the way I prefer it.

> > > What kind of errors?  If it's your SMTP host rejecting your mails
> > > because of unresolvable sender address, you need to do header rewriting
> > > in Exim.
> >
> > well I fixed some by reconfiguring until they quit.
> >
> > R=smarthost_rewrite defer (-30): transport "remote_smtp_rewrite" not
> > found in smarthost_rewrite router
> > &
> > I must have tried every option. twice, before I got it to accept mail
> > for sending via mutt.  Fixed now, thank GOD!
>
> Under my remote_smtp_rewrite: rule, I have these two lines
>   headers_rewrite = dlb@localhost.localdomain dbree@duo-county.com f
>   return_path = dbree@duo-county.com
>
> Of course, I'm the only user here.  If you have several, you would need
> to do a lookup in a file.
>
> > I think the only problem now is the
> > no immediate delivery: more than 10 messages received in one
> > connection
> >
> > Which is why I am trying to find where to put the
> > smtp_accept_queues_per_connection = 0  directive.
>
> I think it's a matter of removing the plural queue..
>
> > Thanks for the try David.  I will keep plugging away at it.  Man I
> > thought the docs for Qmail were obtuse.  exim4 is a bear.  Lots of
> [...]

I couldn't get any mail sent out so had to revert to exim 3.  I have
saved the above info and will try it again this weekend.  I did find
the 'host_find_failed = defer' in both of the smarthost sections you
have so don't think that is the problem., but will try it out.

The other problem was that I couldn't get the procmail section to work
(maybe a .forward file change required) and the old exim3 .forward
file wasn't working right.  Then I discovered yet another doc on
filters that seems to say that the exim4 format is slightly differedt
then exim3.  Oh well....  I really just need a simple MTA and exim 3
is doing what I want.  Don't need all the spam filtering as mailfilter
removes 99.9% of all the spam I get.

Thanks for the replies David.  I appreciate you taking the time to
reply.  Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Wayne

--
No matter how much data you add to your laptop, it will not get
heavier.