Re: Exim4 Woes

David(dbree@duo-county.com) is reported to have said:
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 11:07:01AM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
>
> >   I have exim4 receiving mail, finally, but am having a problem sending
> > mail.
> > I have a bunch of questions that I can't find the answer to.
>
> > like wher in the singlefile config to I put
> > smtp_accept_queues_per_connection = 0  ? as it is now all but 10
> > messages are queued.
>
> Mine's in the first (general, I suppose) section.  I don't think order
> matters here, but FWIW, mine comes just after "gecos-name" and before a
> DCconfig_smarthost=1 entry.
Thanks for that but....  I added that to exim4.conf.template and got
this error.

2004-05-18 21:35:10 Exim configuration error in line 47 of
/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp:
  main option "smtp_accept_queues_per_connection" unknown
  Invalid new configfile /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp
  not installing /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp to
  /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated

The FAQ said to add smtp_accept_queues_per_connection = 0 but just
didn't say where.  I had put it higher up and got the same error.

> > How do I get outgoing mail to queue up when I am not on line?
>
> I'm running the testing version.  They've changed it a bit lately,
> They now hve two smarthost routers - a "smarthost-rewrite" and a
> "smarthost".  Under both these, I have an entry
>     "host_find_failed = defer"
> I believe this may be what does it.

I can't find any smarthost_defer in /etc/exim4/ file.  Are you using
the single file or the split up files in conf.d?

> > Thats it for now.  Hope this gets through.  I keep getting erros
> > when using mutt on outgoing mail so had to download opera.
>
> What kind of errors?  If it's your SMTP host rejecting your mails
> because of unresolvable sender address, you need to do header rewriting
> in Exim.

well I fixed some by reconfiguring until they quit.

R=smarthost_rewrite defer (-30): transport "remote_smtp_rewrite" not
found in smarthost_rewrite router
&
I must have tried every option. twice, before I got it to accept mail
for sending via mutt.  Fixed now, thank GOD!

I think the only problem now is the
no immediate delivery: more than 10 messages received in one
connection

Which is why I am trying to find where to put the
smtp_accept_queues_per_connection = 0  directive.

Thanks for the try David.  I will keep plugging away at it.  Man I
thought the docs for Qmail were obtuse.  exim4 is a bear.  Lots of
info but confusing as heck.

Wayne