Re: install debian on my system

Markus Schlüter wrote:

i write this mail because i have brand new hardware and have some probs with installing debian. so might you have a moment to gimme some hints for install your linux distribution on this system:

Without specifying what problems you're having, we have no idea what type of hints you need.

The single biggest hint I can offer is that if this is not to be a server, but rather a workstation, and if you don't need the rock solidness of the Stable/Woody distribution, use the new installer for Testing/Sarge (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/) and install either Testing/Sarge or upgrade during install to Unstable/Sid (I'd go with Sid). This way you'll get newer packages and better hardware detection/support. While using this new installer, take notes of what may be broken or needs clarification, etc, and forward that information on to the bug report system for that installer (see current bugs here - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&data=d-i&archive=no).

Instructions for the new installer - http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.ia64/index.html

--
Kent