Re: Back up a Windows box w/o Samba?

On Monday 17 May 2004 06:49 am, Jens Simmoleit wrote:
> >She's learning how to use a
> > computer for the very first time, and learning Linux from day one.  Kinda
> > cool.  :)
>
> Cool indeed :-) my Mom doesn't even like pc's :-/

Nor does mine.  She has remained one to voice a very low and hostile opinion
toward these things for years.  I read one of her messages to my son over his
shoulder, and she told *him* she never had any idea how addictive they would
be.  She won't ever admit to *me* that she likes it, but at least I'm not
wasting my time setting this stuff up for her.

It's not going that well at the moment though.  As a test, I suggested that
she should play with the wrench icon and reconfigure something in her
environment.  Surprise me.  So her idea of surprising me was to try to
install a screensaver from off the web somewhere.  For Windows, of course.

That went very badly.  Ended up with her crying, literally, and snuffling
things like "So I can't do what the other 97% of the world can do?"

I guess she has a point.  For web browsing, even with Crossover Office, almost
everything she wants to look at doesn't work.  Neither do the Lord of the
Rings Windows themes and whatnot she wants to install.

I might yet have to buy her a copy of Windows.  :(

> Whow, wait a second here. I think nothing is easier then to setup a guest
> share? Fire up your webmin, mkdir a folder and share it as GUEST ONLY and
> READ/WRITABLE and you're okay? Why care for users and security-stuff, if
> this is your home net and there are only two user who trust each other...?

> Well you can shoot birds with canons..... but..... ;oP

Webmin is easier than SWAT?  I don't have webmin installed.

> If you want help with that, write me an email, no problem.... if you don't
> want help with that read on *laugh*

How about Samba for people who just want the thing to work without having to
learn anything about Samba?  :)

If I could share a Windows printer, that would save me some money.  Dad has a
fancy color laser.  CUPS supports it, but I need to run it as either a Samba
share or a network printer.

In either case, I keep smacking my face into the same brick wall.  The
all-important "URL" field.

For Samba, I have no idea what the thing is called.  I come up with something
like:

smb://printershostname/$RANDOM_STUPID_THINGS_GO_HERE

For the network thing, only the protocol is different.

lpd:////printershostname/$RANDOM_STUPID_THINGS_GO_HERE
http:////printershostname/$RANDOM_STUPID_THINGS_GO_HERE
ipp:////printershostname/$RANDOM_STUPID_THINGS_GO_HERE
socket://printershostname/$RANDOM_STUPID_THINGS_GO_HERE

I screwed with this all last week, and never got anywhere at all.  It's the
most frustration I've experienced in years.  I HATE being thwarted.

I guess if there's some easy way to do this with Samba, Samba might be the way
to go after all.  The backup thing can be done a different way from what I
had already figured out, and it's probably best if I can avoid having to
install anything unusual on his computer.  He wiped out Cygwin already, even
though I put it in a directory called
"cygwin-do-not-delete-this-unless-you-want-to-break-your-backups"  :(

I'm glad he doesn't have the root password on Mom's box.  ;)

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/