Re: Debian, rpm and corporate world

Paul Johnson wrote:
> My understanding is this is a vocal minority decreasing in size as
> more good, free software comes out.

You are thinking perhaps of of office productivity software?

> Proprietary software is sort of a band-aid for a real solution, or a
> toy for after work.

"A toy for after work", like a game?  Hahaha!  That is a good one.
Check out these two prominant, non-oracle examples.  Both high profile
chip design software companies.  And they don't come cheap.  You won't
see any prices there.  Ever eat in a restaurant with no prices on the
menu?  It's kind'a like that.  These are fairly representative of my
corporate world.

  http://www.cadence.com/support/computing/32bit.aspx
  http://www.synopsys.com/products/platforms_roadmap.html

Interesting, rarely do companies like these deliver rpms.  Instead
they usually have custom installation scripts for their tar files.
This comes because they install on HP-UX and Solaris well before being
ported to our favorite system.

Bob