Re: Should i turn off my intel HT?

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 00:58, cwinl wrote:
> thank you
> my server is just DELL PE1750 with dual Xeon 2.8
> i'm very interest about that.
> i installed debian 3.0r2 into PE1750 with many difficulties.finally with a 2.4.25-dell kernel i 'd finished it.
> the main problem is the drivers for MegaRAID (DELL PERC 4/Di) isn't builded into standard 2.4.25 kernel.

I know exactly what you mean. We started using Sarge because Woody was
just too difficult to get installed on these servers. I was getting
hacked installers from Matt Domsch's site. We initially used mixed
mirrors but found that Sarge was plenty stable for what we were doing.

The new Sarge installer detects the RAID controller with no problems. In
fact it works fine on the 1550, 1650, 1750, and 2650. It's made my life
much easier considering I load about 4 of these servers a week.

You can add these to your sources.list

deb ftp://corp.primenetwork.net/Debian binary/
deb-src ftp://corp.primenetwork.net/Debian source/

]$ apt-get update
]$ apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.6-p4-4xsmt-prime

There are 4 other images (each compiled for a specific CPU as well as a
specific number of CPU's).

kernel-image-2.6.6-p3-up-prime
kernel-image-2.6.6-p3-smp-prime
kernel-image-2.6.6-p4-up-prime
kernel-image-2.6.6-p4-2xsmt-prime

You shouldn't have any trouble. I loaded four 1750's this weekend with
this kernel. It depends on module-init-tools which isn't in Woody
though. It also uses a ramdisk so you'll need initrd-tools.

I also found it's best to remove 'hotplug' and 'discover1,
discover1-data, libdiscover1'. The hotplug should go because I've
removed USB/Firewire support from the kernel. discover1 should go
because it always detects things you typically don't need configured on
a server. No need to tie up IRQ's with things like parport. If you
remove discover then be sure to add the tg3 or e1000 NIC module to
/etc/modules because discover was automatically loading it for you.

These kernels also have the ipt_string netfilter module compiled in so
you can do string matching in iptables (Debian package takes care of
user space tools). We don't make it a habit to use it but it can be a
life saver when a box is under attack (most attacks have some signature
in the payload).

Our network sees about 500 million hits a day and we've found 2.6 to be
quite stable. We keep good backups though because anything is possible.