hotplug messing with my (GNOME) sound

Ever since I installed udev+hotplug my GNOME sound won't work :-(

It seems that hotplug insists on loading the oss module for my sound
card, despite the fact that I've listed it in /etc/hotplug/blacklist. Is
there a solution?

I searched the mailing lists and found out about the blacklist trick,
but it doesn't work that well for me.

Alsa sound does work, I can play tunes in XMMS with the alsa output
plugin. As far as I understand it esound needs the oss compatibility
modules for alsa, and it probably is screwed up due to there now being
two oss modules for my sound card--esd chooses the wrong one I guess.

Extra info:

$ lsmod|grep via
snd_via82xx            26464  0
snd_ac97_codec         64324  1 snd_via82xx
gameport                4736  1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart         7872  1 snd_via82xx
via_agp                 7616  1
agpgart                34280  1 via_agp
snd_pcm                97828  3 snd_via82xx,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc         11332  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd                    55972  10 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_usb_audio,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
via82cxxx              14108  1
ide_core              148896  5 ide_cd,usb_storage,ide_disk,ide_generic,via82cxxx

$ grep via /etc/hotplug/blacklist
via82cxxx

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

Long-range planning does not deal with future decisions, but with the
future of present decisions.
     -- Peter F. Drucker