Re: Orderly shutdown of running programs when quitting X

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 01:57:06PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> William Ballard <40414.nospam@comcast.net> writes:
>
> > Is there a way to run a script before X exits, so that I can more
> > gracefully quit apps?  More like Windows; although rude apps such as
> > Outlook can "hang" quitting.
>
> Why not just lock your console instead, or close the programs before
> you logout?

I would find such a facility useful as well. It can be quite a tedious
job manually closing all programs within X. The problem seems to lie in
a disparity between the way applications handle an internal request to
close and an external one.

It seems many apps treat an external close/quit signal as being more
like a `kill' than a `close gracefully'.

I believe this is related to the problem of session management; maybe
looking for info on that may help?

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/