Edit/Change Locations in Twisted .Deb?

I'm playing around with installing an application* whose `make install` is
unfinished and therefore it dumps the app's files in meaningless locations.
It's not just that I neglected to specify a prefix to configure, the files
will have to be placed individually. When I first tried installing the app, I
used checkinstall to generate a package, which of course installs to the
bogus locations.

So what I'm wondering: is it possible to edit the file locations in an
existing package, redirect file locations during package installation, create
an equivs-like package that tracks files (not just metadata), or quickly
throw together a package that just puts files in various locations?

I'd prefer somehow using the existing, twisted package rather than trying to
fix `make install` (mostly because I don't really know what I'm doing) and I
want the app's files to be tracked by dpkg for the usual reasons. I'd
appreciate advice on the least-painful way to accomplish this goal?

Thank you,
~ Jared Warren <warren@cs.queensu.ca>

* <http://berk.upnet.ru/projects/kde/akregator/> in case you were wondering.