Re: exim removed ?

Support wrote:
How to removed exim from Debian server ? When I try using dpkg to removed it ..it show there was some program is need ..

I interpret you to mean that you are attempting to remove the exim package using the dpkg tool, without installing an alternative MTA.

I assume you are using dpkg to attempt to remove the package because you have already tried to do so unsuccessfully with apt-get.

dpkg will likely report that other installed packages depend upon exim or an alternative MTA and none are to be installed.

If you actually wish to remove dpkg and install no alternative MTA, execute as root:
# dpkg --force-depends -r exim

This should cause the dependency error messages to be treated only as warnings, and removal of the exim package will proceed. If other errors arise, see the dpkg manual page for other --force-xxxx options.

However, I would suggest as an alternative to package removal that you merely prevent exim from running.

To prevent exim from running at system initialization, execute as root and approve each of the following:
# rm -i /etc/rc*.d/*exim

To prevent the exim cron job from running remove /etc/cron.d/exim or comment out its contents.

To de-configure exim, execute as root:
# dpkg-reconfigure exim

and choose option '5' to leave exim unconfigured.

dircha