Re: Orderly shutdown of running programs when quitting X

on Sun, May 16, 2004 at 09:02:06AM -0700, William Ballard (40414.nospam@comcast.net) wrote:
> When I exit X or reboot from within X with shutdown, whatever running
> programs are sort of rudely hung up.  Gnome apps and Mozilla that seem
> to save state at File|Quit don't appear to.  Also sometimes my FGLRX
> driver appears to lock up when I abruptly exit X (have to hard boot --
> can't switch to different virtual terminal).
>
> Is there a way to run a script before X exits, so that I can more
> gracefully quit apps?  More like Windows; although rude apps such as
> Outlook can "hang" quitting.

Why are you exiting X?

Do you know:

  - Multiple X sessions can run at the same time.  You can configure
    your X display manager ([xgkw]dm) to run multiple instances, or
    start additional ones from a console.  Switch between virtual
    consoles with <ctrl><alt><F 1-12>.

  - You can lock an X session with xscreensaver.

  - You can hibernate X with APM enabled on most reasonable laptops,
    etc.

Typically, my X sessions run weeks to months.  Closing stuff down is
done rarely, and the state loss *is* a major PITA.

Peace.

    Please understand, I hold you in the highest respect.
    - Princess Bride