Re: Orderly shutdown of running programs when quitting X

William Ballard wrote:
> When I exit X or reboot from within X with shutdown, whatever running
> programs are sort of rudely hung up.  Gnome apps and Mozilla that seem
> to save state at File|Quit don't appear to.  Also sometimes my FGLRX
> driver appears to lock up when I abruptly exit X (have to hard boot --
> can't switch to different virtual terminal).
>
> Is there a way to run a script before X exits, so that I can more
> gracefully quit apps?  More like Windows; although rude apps such as
> Outlook can "hang" quitting.

Think of the problem like this.  Is there a way to enumerate all of
the programs that you are running and how to shut them down
gracefully?  Something like a central registry?  Every program will be
uniquely different.  Then the system shutdown could know how to shut
those programs down.  But without it there is no way for shutdown to
know.  But if you lobby for registry then you have to get all of the
authors and maintainers to support that for every program that you
might run.  Very unlikely.

Best to log out before shutting down.  Then all of your applications
are in a known state.

Bob