Re: Linux 2.6 and modutils

The root of my problem is that the Debian 2.6 kernel uses
	modprobe.conf
	modprobe.d
	modules-2.6
instead of
	modules.conf
	modutils
	modules

Once I figured that out, everything was easy to fix.

> You are mistaken about what is a kernel module and what is a kernel
> device.  The eth0 name is a kernel device.  It is a networking
> device name the kernel uses identify the first network interface
> card (nic). It is not a module name.

This is not entirely true. When the eth0 interface is upped, it
attempts to load the module "eth0". Thus, if you create an alias from
eth0 to the driver for eth0, it will load automatically.

	alias eth0 3c59x

Likewise for sound the proper line is...

	alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

I haven't yet figured out how to get the same aliasing trick to work
for the mouse, so I added the following two lines to modules-2.6

	mousedev
	psmouse

Does anyone know the proper aliasing lines to make the mouse work?

Cheers,
Shaun