Re: Intel NIC Driver

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> jhgraves@gis.net wrote:
> | Find said there is no such file or directory...I went and there is only
> | one file inside /lib/modules/  and it references ide .
>
> What kernel are you using?  (provide us with the output of 'uname -a')

I think he is using a kernel older than 2.4.19.  Probably 2.4.18?  I
guess that because 2.4.18 does not include an e1000 driver.  The e1000
driver was introduced into the 2.4.19 kernel.

> It sounds like you may be using a kernel that was configured without
> that module.  You can install a new kernel easily with apt, but first
> we'll need to know a bit more about your system.

I believe the e1000 driver was introduced in the 2.4.19 kernel.  So
the 2.4.18 from woody would not have it by default.  Of course it
could be compiled for 2.4.18 as a module.  But using a newer kernel
which included it already would be easiest to recommend.  It is
usually about here where I suggest getting the kernel from the
woody-proposed-updates area.  A not quite official update area and
very useful.

  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ woody-proposed-updates main contrib

I would not upgrade from there.  Just install the kernel that you
want, then comment that line out for the future.  I always install the
kernel tuned for my architecture, k7 for an athlon, and so forth.

Bob