emacs and xresources

I'm trying to set up the font size with emacs (latest in testing).
I put this in my ~/.xresources file:
emacs*font: -ETL-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--14-140-72-72-C-70-ISO8859-1

This works fine, when I'm running gnus, but not when I'm running normal
emacs.  That is, I created a menu for gnus, which has this command line:
/usr/bin/emacs -f gnus-no-server

I noticed that for emacs, it is started with this command line:
/usr/bin/emacs21

Both links to /usr/bin/emacs21-w, so I'm not sure why only the first
instance picks up the new xresource, and not the second instance.
(there is a problem with my ISP at the moment, so I can't access
bugs.debian.org, so if the solution is mentioned there, please copy it
here. Thanks).

--
John L. Fjellstad