Re: Can rpm packages from other linux distribution be used on Debian?

Incoming from Paul E Condon:
> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 05:40:51PM +0800, Rick wrote:
> >
> >      Our product is base on redhat,I will porting it to Debian,but in this
> > system,many procedure depend redhat rpms,for example:
> > glibc-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm, perl-5.8.0-88.i386.rpm,etc..
>
> Some might try to use it. Some might get it to work. Some might even like it. But
> then those few will ask you to package it as a deb before they buy. The rest will

And others will use rpm for rpms and Debian tools for .debs, including
alien to convert one to the other, or simply installing whatever we've
got to work with.

I imagine there are cases in which this approach won't work, but we
see the same thing from people everyday who are limiting themselves
to only using debian tools.  Just look at that stable vs. testing
vs. unstable thread a month ago.

And that's possibly the worst news the original poster wants to hear;
he's got to make his stuff work on stable, testing, and unstable?!?  Gah!

- -