Re: nForce Board lockups - Was:2.6 and nvidia

Freivald, Joseph A, GVSOL wrote:
Daniel,

I have an nForce board and it seems a bit unstable.  It was REALLY bad
at first, but I turned in the memory for new and now it only locks up
occasionally, but I have not found any tips on making it work with
Debian and the 2.6 kernel.  Where did you find your pointers, and how
well is it working now?

--JATF

The issue is that there a race condition in the C1 disconnect.
nVidia released the necessary information to the mobo manufacturers
over a year ago, but only one bothered to release a BIOS update
with the fix.  Just before 2.6.6 came out, an nVidia developer
posted to LKML with the information so that the kernel devs
can work around the problem.

Short version: the problem is now fixed in 2.6.6.

If you choose not to upgrade, pass "noapic nolapic" on your
kernel command line.  You loos some performance, but your
machine will be stable.

-Roberto Sanchez