Re: Another Newbie question..

Hello

Ishwar Rattan (<ishwar@pali.cps.cmich.edu>) wrote:

> I have made progress on apt-get and othe info.
>
> I installed the system from Knoppix-3.4, it is 2.6.5 kernel
> and testing packages.
>
> Is there a way to boot the machine to run level 3 only (no kdm etc.),
> in Mandrake I used to use (in /etc/inittab)
>
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> at top and it does not work the same way..

The problem is that the runlevels 2,3,4 and 5 are identical by default.
To make this work, you need to remove the symlink to the kdm script
from some runlevel directory. To have runlevel 3 without kdm, do this:

rm /etc/rc3.d/???kdm

After that, booting into runlevel 3 will not load XFree (if you use kdm
as your login manager).

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270