Re: suddenly only root can login -- ANSWER

Richard Weil <rcweil@yahoo.com> said on Wed, 12 May 2004 12:51:32 -0700 (PDT):
> I found the solution in a posting to lkml from 1998.
> Somehow the permissions on the / directory had changed
>  to: rwxr-x---
>
> They need to be: rwxr-xr-x
>
> Any ideas on what would cause the permissions on the /
> directory to spontaneously change?

I don't know, but I had /tmp spontaneously change the other day, which
is really impressive, because it is on a tmpfs filesystem.

I have a feeling I did an install of a package recently. Perhaps dpkg
stuffed up?

I won't report a bug because I simply don't have any details. I'll
wait and see if it becomes reproducable.

When some other esteemed editor reposts this, it'll be the Periodic
Periodic Table Table story, and I will be even happier. ;^)
           --  Emil Brink on /., about the periodic table table.