suggested/recommended packages

Packages often suggest or recommend other packages. Is there a program
that will check what I currently have installed for any suggested or
recommended packages that I do *not* have installed?

When a program is initially installed I may have no need for one or more
of the suggestions but then not be aware of it when it becomes useful.

--
"The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become
 the instruments of tyranny at home." -- James Madison