aptitude farted?

This is interesting.  I'm about to build something from source.  I don't want
to, but I can't find an apt source anywhere.  I'm going to have to build some
newer-than-installed libs too, looks like, and it's probably going to get
ugly.  To try to make it less ugly, I wanted to install checkinstall.

aptitude is trying to remove a bunch of stuff I most assuredly DO need.  I'm
hacking on a KDE app.  I don't want to remove these.  WTF??

Broken packages?  Tangled deps or recommends?  I've only just started using
aptitude instead of apt-get, because of a recent thread right here expounding
its virtuous ability to track things that were installed along with something
else, and then remove them when that thing wears out its welcome. So you
don't install some-dumb-flummy-0.0.2, have it pull in 30 bizarre and
otherwise useless libs, and then keep maintaining those libs needlessly in
perpetuity.  It sounded like a good idea.  It sure doesn't seem to be working
as expected.

-aptitude install checkinstall
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  kapptemplate kbabel kbugbuster kcachegrind kdesdk-kfile-plugins
  kdesdk-misc kdesdk-scripts kompare kuiviewer poxml umbrello valgrind
  valgrind-calltree
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
  installwatch
  checkinstall installwatch
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 13 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 46.9kB of archives. After unpacking 20.9MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

Do I want to continue?  Of course not, dolt.  Back to apt-get.

Just for fun, I tried kdevelop3, and got the same list of things aptitude is
convinced I no longer need.  No, I'm only installing a development IDE for
KDE stuff.  I don't need any of the kde devel stuff.  What, do you think I'm
going to use the IDE to develop KDE stuff?  No.  I'm going to use it to write
bash scripts.

(I'm chuckling while I write this, so don't take this rant too seriously.)

So what's for it?  Use aptitude to install this list of things to reaffirm
that I really want them?  Edit some file somewhere?  What?

Did I maybe lose some related package along the way without taking note?  I
just updated yesterday.  Maybe something had to be removed without my
noticing, and now that it's gone, aptitude thinks I no longer need this
string of packages.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/