Re: mozilla-firefox & extensions

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 11:17:31AM +0800, Alexander Nordström wrote:
> On Friday, 7 May 2004 03:16, Matt Price wrote:
>
> > anyonee lse having trouble installing extensions with mozilla-firefox
> > 0.8-8 on Sid?  I keep trying to install mozex and it doesn't seem to
> > actually install.  I have two other extensions working (Bookmarks
> > Synchronizer and Session Saver) but they also seemed to install rather
> > reluctantly (lots of extra "x has been installed" popup windows).
> > Does this behaviour sound familiar to anyone?
>
> Yes. Probably mostly a case of mispackaged extensions assuming everyone uses
> operating systems where everyone is root by tradition. Incidentally, the
> extensions install fine if you are root (which lets all users use the
> extensions). It's a known issue with Mozilla, but not all extension
> developers seem to be aware. Where I have been affected, I have contacted the
> extension developers to let them know of the issue, and some have at least
> added instructions on what modifications you need to make. Just be aware of
> the following issues:
>
> a) Some extensions packaged on Windows require the permissions of the
> installed files to be fixed, or Firefox will not work at all when those
> permissions are installed.
>
> b) apt-get upgrading Firefox will botch root-installed extensions. See
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=206097 for details.

thanks for the tip.  However, I don't think this is the problem in my
case -- I've tried it with several different extensions that have
installed fine with earlier versions of firebird, and in each case
I've had the same problem.  I've also chown'd and chmod'd all the
files in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox and /var/lib/mozilla-firefox so that
my user has write access to them -- again, no luck.  Now firefox
crashes whenever I  try to install an extension -- and as far as I can
tell, does so without giving any messages or anything.  anyone know if
firefox has a log anywhere?  I myself cant find it...

anyway, thx,
matt