Re: 2.6.5 -- I broke the internet

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 10:19:55PM -0500, dircha wrote:
> > smeagol:~ 19:50:59 $ sudo ifup eth1
> > ifup: interface eth1 already configured
>
> , probably hotplug has attempted to configure your wireless card, and
> has done so incorrectly. Does the configuration displayed by the
> intervening "ifconfig" have the correct parameters for your wireless
> network?

Everything is right, except it's missing the line that normally says the
inet address.

eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"Wavelan Network"  Nickname:"smeagol"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457GHz  Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
          Bit Rate:2Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:134/153  Noise level:134/153

> But that's another issue. You should determine what is wrong with your
> (PCI?) ethernet card first, as that is more likely a much simpler issue.

I'm unsure of where to start looking. /var/log/syslog? dmesg? Should I be
looking for a card that fails to load, or something else?

thanks,
emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin