Re: [vox-tech] Galeon mime types

On 2004.05.09 19:41, Ken Bloom wrote:
'm trying to edit my Gnome MIME settings in such a way that if I click a link to a .tex file in Galeon, I can make the file open in gvim.

Whenever I click a .tex file, I get the ordinary "What do you want to do with this file?" dialog box, but it doesn't list any helper applications, and the Open button is disabled. Nevertheless, I can double click a .tex file in Nautilus to make it open in gvim.

Does anyone know how to edit my MIME types to make something like this work in Galeon?

Answering my own question: I asked on #galeon on irc.gimp.net, and Galeon ignores file extensions and only pays attention to MIME types. My GNOME settings were configured to accept text/x-tex as a TeX file, and the web server at the other end was sending me application/x-tex.

T he lesson here is to look on the internet and figure out what the correct MIME type is when you set up a file association (http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/html4ed/appb/mimetype.html and ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types appear to be good sites for this) and to be ready to configure all of the other possibilities if different web servers send out different MIME types.