"Debian architecture" for P-III?

Googling turns up lots of arguments about whether or not it's worth creating seperate optimized binaries for 686-class machines, and I have to admit I'm not particularly fussed that they don't exist.

However, I'm being forced to compile my own kernel so I thought I might as well compile it in an optimized fashion. "dpkg-architecture" seems to be what I'm looking for, but neither the "known debian architectures" or "system types" contain anything later than i386.

Was I being naïve in thinking it would be that easy?

Cheers,

Jon