Re: Lilo and friends

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 03:08:46PM -0400, Adam Aube wrote:
> CW Harris wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 10:41:27AM +0200, Levente KOVACS wrote:

> >> Unfortunatelly I can not, becouse I have to program the Rabbit MCU. They
> >> only have software for win. And it's in my workplace....
> >
> > I haven't had to try to integrate Lilo with XP, but with earlier windows
> > I found it *easier* to let windows do its own thing and keep Lilo
> > installed on the linux partition.
>
> I don't know about Lilo, but I did setup a XP Pro/Debian dual-boot box using
> Sarge and Grub, and it is installed in the MBR and boots either operating
> system without problems. I don't know why Lilo would be any different.

No, I guess I wasn't clear.  Lilo should do that fine.  I just meant
that with earlier windows (and their habit of playing around with the
MBR if you upgraded, etc) I found it easier to let windows have the MBR
and put Lilo elsewhere.  Then I would just mark the Lilo partition as
the bootable one.

I merely found it easier to fit Lilo/Linux into the windows way rather
than trying to keep windows from messing up with the Lilo installation.

IIRC it was only an issue when upgrading, or installing.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.