Re: Boot time fsck (JFS)

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:37:22AM -0700, Karthikeyan M.D. wrote:
> Hello People,
>      I have installed debian woody (3.0) in a desktop
> and changed the root fs to JFS. Everything is working
> fine, except for the boot time fsck. If the system was
> not properly shutdown and while it is coming up, the
> script which calls the fsck program is not calling the
> fsck.jfs and moreover the script is not running fsck
> for other JFS partitions (such as /var, /tmp, /disk1,
> etc.). If I want to change this behavior so that
> fsck.jfs runs for all the partitions automatically,
> which script should I modify ? Also is there a way
> where I can force an fsck for all the partitions
> during boot time.
>
> Thanks,
> Karthik
Hi Karthhik,
IIRC the fsck options is set in /etc/fstab.
This is from 'man fstab'.
The  sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8)
program to determine the order in which filesystem
checks are done at reboot time.  The root filesystem
should be specified with a fs_passno of 1,  and other
filesystems  should  have  a fs_passno  of  2.
Filesystems  within  a drive will be checked sequentially,
but filesystems on different drives will be checked
at the same time to utilize parallelism available in
the hardware.  If the sixth field is not present or
zero, a value of zero is  returned  and  fsck will
assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

-Kev