Re: [OT Why GB English is different] Re: Mozilla firefox en-gb

William Ballard <40414.nospam@comcast.net> said on Mon, 3 May 2004 15:03:41 -0700:
> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 10:55:40PM +0100, Michael Graham wrote:
> > Clive wrote:
> > >
> > > I can't answer your question but what does gb localisation will give
> > > you?  I've installed firefox and haven't found any need for gb
> > > localisation - just curious ;)
> >
> > Not much to be honest, but it makes me cringe everytime I see a colour
> > without a 'u' (note I expectly wrote that sentence so it never said
> > color -- D'oh!!)
>
> I recently read a killer book about Syd Barrett, and it was so good I
> decided to scan and OCR it (in Windows, in MSWord).
>
> Spell checking an GB-english document using American-englsih spell
> checker is awful.  Hundreds and hundreds of spelling errors, and grammar
> errors.  I didn't realize how different our languages actually are until
> I ran a spell checker.

If someone wants to fund me a time-machine, I will be very happy to go
back and eliminate the problem - namely bloody Webster.

Hell - n. The current residence of Mr. Noah Webster, Lexicographer.
 (Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_)