Re: Start linux in command line mode from GRUB

2004. május 3. 20:16 dátummal kostas ezt írta:
> Hi all,
> I cannot boot my linux in graphic mode. so I want to start linux in
> command line mode. My boot loader is GRUB. Which parameter I must use
> to start linux as I desire.
> Thank oyu in advance,
> kostas
Hi!

AFAIK the boot loader is not responsible for booting into graphics or
text mode. It is controlled by your runlevel. In your /etc/ dir you can
see directories with rc prefixes. For example rc2.d. The symlinks in
that dir are controlling which program will run at runlevel 2. If you
are booting to runlevel 2, and there is a link for your graphical login
manager, then it will start (yeah that's a cool thing :)
AFAIK (again) I don't know
(and /usr/src/linux-2.4.26/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt don't
know either) about any kernel boot parameter, which is supposed to
control your runlevel. It is controlled by your /etc/inittab:

# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

So if you don't want to boot into graphic mode, you should:

a) Remove the symlink(s) from your rc dir, which are starting the
"graphical programs".

b) change the default runlevel in your /etc/inittab. (which is not a
good idea if you ask me, only do this if you know what you're doing).

c) [anything else?]

Best wishes,

Daniel

--