Re: sarge?

>On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 10:11:35PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Sadly, we have *not* historically been in a
> position where we can just drop in the installer from the previous
> release and expect it to work...

>Carl Fink             carl@fink.to wrote:
>Fair enough.  I have only written installers for applications, not
operating
>systems, so I'm quite ignorant of these issues.  Could you clarify
why the
>Woody installers can't install Sarge?

I have used the Woody mini-CD net install with the last two machines
on which I've installed Debian. Both systems are running Sid without
problems, and I expect it would have as easily installed Sarge had
that been where I pointed /etc/apt/sources.list by hand.

I think the point is that all the packages on the mini-ISO have to be
replaced, including the kernel, and the file system choices seem
quite limited at formatting time although I've only used ext2. But
that is only on i386 machines, which is a limitation. Suffice to say
that the Woody install just doesn't measure up to the idea of
"integration".

I personally would be pushing the other way if I were making the
decisions. While it would be nice if the front end looked the same, I
believe the idea of "integrating" the installers for different
architectures is a waste of effort.

In order to integrate and internationalize as much as possible, the
installer must be re-written constantly. Heck, it has to be
re-written constantly just to keep up with hardware changes in just
one architecture! I wish the install developers great endurance, and
I thank them for their efforts.

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001